Monday, November 24, 2008

Movie review: 10 Promises to My Dog

A man’s best friend has always been associated with a dog. A dog will walk alongside us on our roller-coaster journey of life. “10 Promises to My Dog” is a movie about the friendship of a 14 year old girl, Akari and her dog, Socks. Socks was first found at the backyard of Akari’s home. Akari’s mother approves of it on the condition that Akari keeps “The 10 Promises” – the 10 commandments of owning a dog. Hence begins the 10 years friendship filled with joy as well as setbacks which put Akari’s commitment to fulfill “The 10 Promises” to the test. “10 Promises to My Dog” is not merely just a movie about the friendship of Akari and Socks. It is a journey of two new and excited best friends, and how their lives intertwine in such a beautiful and mysterious way. But as time goes by and as Akari grows up, she was very much distracted by life, career and love, hence having Socks neglected. It shows us how often we are excited about something new and fresh but later on taking it for granted, realizing what is truly important when it’s usually too late.


This movie reminded me of the many forgotten first loves I had. It’s so natural to be excited over something new and fresh and yet so easy to forget about it when life happens, hardship hits and when love distracts. This immediately reminded me about the times when I had many exciting encounters with God when I was young. I remember the excitement I have when He answered my prayers. I remember the excitement I have when I was just spending time with Him. I remembered the excited young me, with nothing to worry about and would just make promises to my God. But along the way as I grew up, I start forgetting. I start forgetting the kind of excitement and first love I had for my God. I began to be more busy, more distracted and then leave my God aside. I didn’t disown Him, but I just did not really include Him. I slowly forget about my promises to Him. Of course, God being Himself and always being with us wouldn’t let go of us so easily. Time and time again He would always remind me of Himself, His unfailing love and His faithfulness and I come back to Him again.


Were there times in your life where you have been excited about your Christian faith and your first love to Jesus but later on forgot about it? Were there promises to God that you have made but have forgotten about it? Come, tell us your story and how you overcame it or still overcoming it. J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute dog!