Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Every Votes Counts

“Every vote counts!” this used to be a cliché is Malaysian politics until the 8th of March 2008. With this single vote many Malaysians finally understood what it means to have a voice in our country. It also meant that everyone had a path in actually determining the future (the next five years at least) of our country. It was a euphoric moment for many of us. Finally we can see and hope for accountability in our legislative process.

But as the dust begin to settle, reality strikes back. Is our contribution just limited on that one vote? Do we or can we be more involved in the running of this country? Or do we just go back to our normal religious contribution of just praying and fasting for our leaders? Do not doubt the importance of praying and fasting but surely there is more that we can do.

Do share on how you think we can contribute to this country. Be creative as many of us really want to know of our place in this country.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To feel that I co-own this country with other fellow Malaysian is a new revelation for me. I always felt that this silly nation is owned and run by the Malays. But recently, the Lord has changed my puny worldview. Now I'm begining to see that this is my home too. I'm borned and I grew up here. And if I fail to remember, my My Kad is there to tell me who I am. It's time to be Malaysian.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's time to change our language. We're not Chinese or Indian or Malay or Bumi - but we're Malaysians.

Anonymous said...

now that the election is over, the hard work begins. if we are to stay true to the spirit of march 8, we must not allow disunity, impatience, unreasonable demands & racist talk to discourage us from playing our role as Malaysians. the true test just begun!