Saturday, October 20, 2007

Be Free to Celebrate





Celebrations……
When I thought of celebrations, I thought of food, wearing new clothes, playing mini fireworks, meeting relatives and a time for reunion.
I’m a Chinese Christian and naturally when I thought of celebrations, I thought of Chinese New Year and also Christmas.

But wait……I’m also a Malaysian.
I remembered when I was in my secondary school; I was invited to my Malay friend’s house to celebrate Raya. That’s how I discovered what is nasi himpit. There are several invitations to friend’s house for Raya and Deepavali when I was in my secondary school, but now is lesser.

Are we free to celebrate with our friends who are not of the same race and religion?
Are we cutting ourselves off from celebrating with our friends who are not of the same race and religion?

Come and share with us some of your experiences.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, wish i had more friends from other races to celebrate with in the first place. those i used to have are out of touch already.

a friend asked me recently whether i visited anyone during raya, to which i sheepishly replied i was back in hometown, in order to avoid answering the question and implicating that no one invited me in the first place.

Anonymous said...

I remember when i was young, I invited my Malay friends which is my neighbours to play tang lung with me.

Now, no more

-tanglung-

Anonymous said...

I don't really visit anyone, but that's due to practical reasons (transportation). So not related.

But I find that the older I grow, and the more integrated I am into society, the more racist I become... shaped by the different experiences at work, by the racist attitudes of certain people at my workplace...

The innocence of those childhood days where I never saw friends by their skin colour seems to be creeping away, slowly but almost surely...

yeah, sad.