Sunday, September 02, 2007

TO TERRIFY, OR BE TERRIFIED

"Got Your fire in my bones, but how come ah'm a-leaking in a well.
Plain lost all'a mah friends, yeah, God, dis pain surely's hell.
See, ain't be too long till 'em Babylons come,
No! We can't flee, but till God's full wrath is done.

What kinda pit You dug for me, what kinda hole is this misery?
What kinda song is this curse on my own, what kinda blues is this sad melody?"

When I look at Jeremiah, I honestly think he would make a great blues musician. I can imagine him shrouded in dim light; his anguished, primal lyrics giving voice to the raging torment in his soul. Branded a traitor by the very nation he shed broken-hearted tears over, he brought prophecies that were the opposite of peace and prosperity and ultimately proclaiming and having to see for himself the unrepentant nation of Judah carried off into exile.

I can see him demanding of God why his cup was so bitter. Demanding why the words weren't the fluffy, feely-goody kind that the people were flocking to. He saw the rot in God's people of the day and spoke out loud and strong against it. He wasn't a blues musician; he was a prophet. What did it cost him to be God's mouthpiece in his day? What was the cost of Truth? What is it going to cost us in THIS day, when we speak honest truth?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For one thing, i think it'll cost me popularity, and funny looks. honestly, some people may get sick and tired of me if I spoke like Jeremiah. Prosperity is everywhere! As long as you are obedient, God will bless and prosper us! How lah to go tell people to 'repent' when they are prosperous (evidence of being in God's good books, supposedly).

Sigh....